Monday 29 August 2011

Work Experience

For my work experience I spent a week at North Yorkshire Disability sport where I saw the benefits of integrated sport but also the difficulties faced when trying to change long standing attitudes. I saw the team members using a variety of techniques to break down barriers in society and encourage disabled people to take part in sport. I spent time meeting organisers of main stream clubs and helping them adapt their clubs and make them suitable for disabled people. I also spent time with disabled individuals helping them overcome the barriers we all have when faced with a new challenge. I really enjoyed the week and as a result have signed up the disabled section of sport makers who find placements for willing volunteers to help with local disability sport.