Wednesday 20 April 2011

Work Experience

Having completed my GCSE examinations, I decided it would be extremely beneficial to spend a week working with children in my local primary school. I acted in the role of Classroom Assistant, supporting the children in the Reception, Year 1 and Year 2. One particular child stood out to me who had been diagnosed with an autistic spectrum disorder. He regularly distanced himself from the group and his condition impaired his ability to socially interact with others. The week I spent with the young boy inspired me greatly and I decided to find out more about his disorder and how it is caused. During my research I discovered an Open University course which aims to present an overview of autistic conditions.  The course provides an accessible introduction to the autistic spectrum, principles and problems of diagnosis, and biological and psychological approaches to explaining underlying causes. The course commences in November 2011 and I am very much looking forward to learning more about autistic spectrum disorders.
Reference from Markington Primary School